|Title of the article
THERMOBIOLOGICAL MECHANISM OF SPATIALLY TEMPORAL DIVISION OF ACTIVITY OF MEDIUM,
EREMIAS INTERMEDIA, AND LINEATURE, E. LINEOLATA, LABELS (REPTILIA, LACERTIDAE) IN KYZYLKUM
Cherlin Vladimir Aleksandrovich, Doctor of biological sciences, sub-department of zoology and physiology, Daghestan State University (4A Batyraya street, Makhachkala, Daghestan), E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Background. The reptilian thermobiology is the most important factor determining their ecology, spatial and temporal structure of activity and biotopical distribution. But the mechanisms of this process are poorly understood. This article describes the results of studies illustrating the specific mechanisms of the influence of certain thermophysiological characteristics and characteristics of thermoregulation in two sympatric species of racerunners on their ecology and their biotopical selection in Kyzylkum desert.
Materials and methods. In the Kyzylkum desert we studied the thermophysiological characteristics of the full activity and temperature stabilization ranges, as well as the thermoregulation techniques in two species of racerunners. Also, in this area we studied the climatic conditions in different biotopes. All the data obtained were associated with observations of the spatial and temporal structure of the daily activity of lizards and their biotopical preferences.
Results. The aralo-caspian racerunner is noticeably less thermophilic in thermobiological indicators than the striped racerunner. The temperatures of full activity in the aralo-caspian racerunner are 32,3–39,0º, the range of temperature stabilization is 34,0–35,5º. In the striped racerunner, these indicators are 34,5–41,0º and 35,5–37,0º, respectively. For some morphological and physiological reasons, under the same conditions, the body in aralo-caspian racerunner heats up faster than in striped racerunner. Striped racerunners, unlike aralo-caspian ones, can actively use the lower branches of bushes for thermoregulation, i.e. to separate their body from the hot soil during the warmest part of day.
Conclusions. The thermobiological characters and the manner of thermoregulation lead to differences in the spatial-temporal activity structure and biotopical differences between aralo-caspian and striped racerunners: the striped racerunners have the ability to use and actually use more open spaces for activity and a hotter time of day, while aralo-caspian ones use more matted areas with openwork or dense shadow, with shrubs and trees, and are active at more fresh time of day.
aralo-caspian racerunner, striped racerunner, thermal biology, body temperature, mechanisms of ecological separation
1. Bogdanov O. P. Ekologiya presmykayushchikhsya Sredney Azii [Ecology of reptiles of Central Asia]. Tashkent: Nauka, 1965, 258 p. [In Russian]
2. Shcherbak N. N. Yashchurki Palearktiki [Palearctic foot and mouth disease]. Kiev: Naukova dumka, 1974, 296 p. [In Russian]
3. Brushko Z. K. Yashcheritsy pustyn' Kazakhstana [Desert lizards of Kazakhstan]. Almaty: Konzhik, 1995, 231 p. [In Russian]
4. Anan'eva N. B. Zbіrnik Prats' Zoologіchnogo muzeyu AN USSR [Proceedings of the Zoological Museum of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR]. 1971, no. 34, pp. 88–93.
5. Andreev I. F. Uchenye zapiski Chernovitskogo universiteta. Ser.: Biologicheskie nauki [Scientific notes of Chernivtsi University. Series: Biological sciences]. 1948, no. 1, p. 109. [In Russian]
6. Cherlin V. A., Muzychenko I. V. Zoologicheskiy zhurnal [Zoological journal]. 1983, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 897–908. [In Russian]
7. Cherlin V. A., Muzychenko I. V. Zoologicheskiy zhurnal [Zoological journal]. 1988, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 406–416. [In Russian]
8. Cherlin V. A. Ekologiya zhivotnykh Uzbekistana [Animal’s ecology of Uzbekistan]. Tashkent: Nauka, 1991, pp. 70–97. [In Russian]
9. Cherlin V. A. Termobiologiya reptiliy. Obshchie svedeniya i metody issledovaniy (rukovodstvo)
[Thermobiology of reptiles. General information and research methods (guidance)]. Saint-Petersburg: Russko-Baltiyskiy informatsionnyy tsentr «BLITs», 2010, 124 p. [In Russian]
10. Plokhinskiy N. A. Biometriya [Biometrics]. Moscow: Izd-vo MGU, 1970, 368 p. [In Russian]
11. Cherlin V. A. Termobiologiya reptiliy. Obshchaya kontseptsiya [Thermobiology of reptiles. General concept]. Saint-Petersburg: Russko-Baltiyskiy informatsionnyy tsentr «BLITs», 2012, 362 p. [In Russian]
12. Cherlin V. A. Reptilii: temperatura i ekologiya [Reptiles: temperature and ecology]. Saarbrücken: Lambert Academic Publishing, 2014, 442 p. [In Russian]
13. Shammakov S. Presmykayushchiesya ravninnogo Turkmenistana [Reptiles of plain Turkmenistan]. Ashkhabad: Ylym, 1981, 312 p. [In Russian]